We are PLCPC: Strengthen the Church - We Are One Body Prayer Practice
1 Corinthians 12:12-26, the text from worship this week, uses the human body as a metaphor for Christ alive in the world through communities of faith. We are all parts of the Body of Christ and each different part has its role strengthening and sharing in the joy of the whole. In our prayer practice this week we’ll be using the body as a way to pray for the strength of our church. As we pray for the whole body, we strengthen that whole body.
You can do this prayer two ways: If you have a full-length mirror at home you can use that. If you don’t have one or that feels too uncomfortable, use the image of a body on the back side of this page instead.
- Start your time of prayer by giving thanks to God for your body. Give thanks for each part of your body. For the gift of it. For just what it is.
- If there are parts of your body that have pain or cause you discomfort, name them before God and ask for healing or reconciliation with that part of you.
- Now that you have prayed for your body as yourself, look in the mirror or at the image.
- See your body as the Body of Christ and say a prayer of praise
- See your body as the Church Universal and say a prayer of intercession
- See your body as PLCPC and pray for each part:
- Head - Our Leaders on Session making faithful decisions.
- Shoulders - Our Pastors preaching, teaching, guiding.
- Torso - Our Congregation living as disciples.
- Right Hand - Our Staff working to do God’s will.
- Left Hand - Our Deacons caring and empowering others to care.
- Knees - Our Children and Youth flexible and active in faith.
- Feet - Our Volunteers who support all that we do in the name of Christ.
If you like, write or draw some of your prayers on the image of the body on the back and post a photo on social media tagging @pointlomachurch using #WeArePLCPC